HTML5 is the fifth revision of the HTML standard, a markup language used to structure web pages. It has been created to make the process of building web content simpler and more logical.
Some of the advantages of HTML5
- Accessibility – The new elements coupled with the latest standard of HTML make it easier for screen readers to understand and create a better experience for users.
- Cleaner code – Less code is needed to mark up webpage structures, which encourages better performance.
- Video and audio support – HTML5 has its own built in support for video and audio, meaning websites don’t have to be reliant on Flash, a third-party technology that isn’t widely accessible beyond desktop computers.
- Legacy browser support – HTML5 is being built in such a way that even older browsers can understand the majority of it. And any that don’t can be helped along with various open-source scripts.
- Future-proofing – As HTML4 was in 1999, HTML5 is now the future of web design. Building websites in HTML5 now will ensure your websites are future-proofed and stand the best chance of rendering correctly in modern browsers for the forseeable future, or until the next HTML specification is released.
- Many more…